Saturday 16 February 2013

What's That? (My 500 Word Challenge)

Loudly, the heavy rain poured down as the angry wind howled at the roaring thunder. The freezing night outside was nowhere near the cosiness of our small cottage. While I watched the rain outside, I sat in front of the burning fire. We had no electricity because of the rain. Even though I was sitting in front of the fire, I was still shivering all over.

As I looked around the dark room, I thought I saw something- I didn’t know what it was but I was too scared to stand up and search. After a moment or two, my mother came into the gloomy room holding a candle in one hand and a blanket in the other. She gave the blanket to me to wrap around myself for warmth and put the candle on the table in the middle of the room to help the roasting fire illuminate the room.

I didn’t tell her about what I had seen but I am not sure if that was the wisest decision. I kept my lips zipped as I stared outside at the starry sky. A few moments later, I looked at the corner of the room where I saw it; I kept looking and saw it again. I saw it more clearly the second time round: it was some sort of ghost like person with a sharp knife in its hand. I saw its eyes. They were red.

I screamed as soon as I saw the knife, got up and went to my mother. She instantly looked in the same direction I was looking and got on her feet as well. The figure disappeared when my mother grabbed the diminutive candle placed on the small, wooden table. She took small steps up to the corner by the door and then exited the room: I followed. All I could hear was my heart pounding in my chest which faded out the sound of the thunderous rain.

Me and my mother stood dead in our tracks when we saw the person again at the top of the stairs. Rapidly, the shape vanished. We waited a few seconds before we started our walk up the steep steps. I felt like I was going to faint because of everything that was going on around me. Finally, we reached the top, still with me hiding behind my mother’s back. We saw it slowly drift into a wooden cupboard. We walked towards it – our hearts beating hastily now. When we opened it, I hoped that we wouldn’t see it and we would be opening the door to Narnia but that obviously wasn’t going to happen.

When we opened it, it was empty…

My mother looked around the cupboard through the coats, but still, nothing was there. My nerves seemed to have calmed down however, I wasn’t calmed down; I knew that that wasn’t the end of this haunting night. I turned around timidly. It was there. My mother turned around. The figure made the first move…



I hope that you like my writing. If you would like to enter Radio 2's 500 Word Competition, visit this site:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/500words/2013/
Remember: The competition closes on 22nd February 2013 at 7:00pm so get writing quick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment