Sunday 6 January 2013

Christmas Day

We started the morning by having breakfast and making our way down to the church in Wolverhampton where the Brothers Of The Good Shepard run a dinner service for the homeless. We went to see what we could help them with through this season as my parents also run a charity called Hazara House, which deals with food, clothing and shelter issues for the under privileged. I was very surprised at how many people turned up on Christmas Day, it is a shame that so many people all around us are so unfortunate. Lots of volunteers came to help hand out the food and drink. One of the Brothers showed us around to see the basic foods that they had to offer and the donations fortunate people had made, he also showed us the simple facilities that we take for granted but is a luxury for the homeless, these facilities are things such as clothes and toiletries. By the door there was a gift for all of the homeless people to take and open since it was Christmas Day. I saw children there, about 1 or 2 years old! I now realise how lucky I am to have what I have and I am a lot more grateful after seeing the conditions that these people live in. We were thinking hard about what we could do to help.

      Before we made our way home, we went to the Sikh temple to pray.



We then went home we opened presents and enjoyed a traditional Christmas dinner.  My best Christmas present was having my ears pierced...... Here's a picture...

4 comments:

  1. Govind - I think it's fantastic that you and your family help other people in this way. Maybe you could share this with the class? I think they would like to hear your story. Maybe we could show this blog post off one morning? If you want to; remind me next week!

    Mr Holder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling the class to look at this post, lots of people have said to me that they have looked at it. :)

      Delete
  2. Homelessness is an issue that trouble me too. It's heartwarming to hear that you and your family are doing something about helping people at a time of year when most people think about their families. It must be very frightening and lonely being homeless in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My parents run a charity and have put together bags which are being given out, I have writen another post about this.

      Delete